1) JG Melon: 1291 3rd Av @ 74th St: Classic dive bar featuring a near perfect burger….and a great Bloody Mary. There might be tastier burgers but when combined with the atmosphere and history – a must try.
2) Corner Bistro: 331 West 4th St @ Bank: Bohemian bar serving burgers, draft beer and an excellent juke to boot. Another NY institution that one must experience. Burger is huge!
3) Paul’s Place: 131 2nd Av @ St Mark’s Place: Considered by many the best burger in the city. Lunch, dinner or late night. 15 to choose from. Burgers are huge and incredibly tasty.
4) Burger Joint: 33 West 8th St @ 5th Ave; Also – 119 W 56th St @ 6th Av: Inside Le Parker Meridian Hotel; Located behind drapes in back of hotel! $7 burger which is made the way you like it.
5) Burger Bistro: 1663 1st Av @ 87th-88th; Owned by two friends who met at Morton’s steakhouse; Super fresh meat used in excellent burgers; Sell beer & wine. Burgers with endless topping choices is what they sell.
6) Island Burgers and Shakes: 766 Ninth Ave @ 51st St; Also 422 Amsterdam @ 80th; Great choice of burgers. Great food always. Energetic atmosphere and amazing aroma inside.
7) New York Burger Co: 303 Park Av @ 23rd St: Not too greasy or healthy. Multiple choices. True burger joint. Check out the mouthwatering burgers on their website.
8) Shake Shack: Madison Square Park @ 23rd St: Danny Meyer owned. Outdoors with long lines for shakes & awesome burgers. Other locations: 154 E 86th @ Lex-3rd; 366 Columbus @ 77th; and 691 8th Av @ 44th.
9) Bill’s Bar & Burger: 22 9th Ave @ 13th; also 16 W 51st @ 5th Ave; Upscale diner setting; Excellent burgers; Expanding empire deserves their rave reviews.
10) Minetta Tavern: 113 MacDougal @ West 3rd; French/ American restaurant; Bistro setting and good bar scene; Known for their excellent burgers more than anything.
11) PJ Clarkes: 915 3rd Avenue @ 55th St; Other locations; Grab a cheesburger and you’ll be in heaven. Stone crabs too are great. Amazing after work bar scene as well.
12) Jackson Hole: 1611 2nd Av @ 83rd St /// 1270 Madison @ 91st St /// 232 E 64th St @ 2nd-3rd Ave /// 517 Columbus @ 85th St: Giant burgers and absolutely dozens to choose from. Monster in size. Also in Englewood!
13) Five Napkin Burger: 630 Ninth Av @ 44th St: Signature 5 Napkin Burger and 8 or 9 others to choose from. Menu has other entrees, salads. Other locations: 150 E 14th @ 3rd Av; and 2315 Broadway @ 84th.
14) Royale: 157 Av C @ 9th – 10th St: “Royale with Cheese” burger simply amazing. Otherwise, a dive bar of sorts. Has sandwiches, salads. Get the classic burger.
15) Ruby’s: 219 Mulberry @ Spring-Prince; Try the Bronte burger for $11 or one of their other 4-5 types. Also has nice menu of salads, pastas, breakfast items. Cash only
16) Mark: 33 St. Mark’s @ 2nd-3rd Av; a/k/a Mark Burger. Come as sliders here… get a few! And a beer… Great bang for the buck. Underrated quality.
17) Burger & Barrel: 25 W Houston @ Greene-Mercer; a/k/a B&B. Prime Rib burgers. Wine pub as well! Prime Rib dinner and other menu items. Lots of burgers to choose from around $15. Nicer place.
18) Five Guys: Has 9 locations in Manhattan. See website. Assembly line-like set up. High quality. Not too huge but enough to fill you. Great fries. Diner atmosphere.
19) BLT Burgers: 470 6th Ave @ 11th Street: Owned by famed Laurent Tourondel; Gourmet burgers. Diner style. About 10 burgers to choose from. Kobe Hot Dogs. Appetizers.
20) Ruby Tuesdays: 585 7th Avenue @ 41st-42nd: Their huge menu includes a dozen or so amazing burgers. It’s a chain restaurant but do yourself a favor and grab a burger at the bar.
20) Blue 9 Burger: 92 3rd Ave @ 12th-13th; Also – 1415 2nd Av @ 73rd; 789 9th Av @ 52nd-53rd; Mini-chain with reliable multiple burgers to choose from. Eat-in or take out. Fries are delicious.