All have endless menus of traditional NYC diner fare. There is nothing like great diner grub after a night on the town or to start off your day!!
1) Stardust Diner: Midtown West. 1650 Broadway @ 51st St – Home of the singing waitstaff! So much fun. Food is better elsewhere but you get to hear off-Broadway singers performing.
2) Stage Restaurant: East Village. 128 2nd Av @ St. Marks. Ukrainian owned diner. Try pierogies. NY landmark for 70+ years; Some of the best diner food. Incredible reviews on Yelp for a diner.
3) Brooklyn Diner: 2 locations: a) 212 W 57th St @ Broadway – 7th Ave; b) 155 W 43rd St @ Broadway – 6th Av; Try the burger or baked Mac N Cheese. Also Chicken soup and Pastrami.
4) Junior’s: Midtown West. 1515 Broadway @ 44th. Huge place. NY Institution. Try their famous cheesecake. Giant in size and right off Times Square. Ideal for take-out.
5) Stage Door: 5 Penn Plaza @ 33rd and 8th Av; Huge space with great, reliable food; Excellent location next to Penn Station & MSG. Amazing pastrami sandwich.
6) Gracie Mews: Upper East. 401 E 80th @ 1st Av – York; Slightly nicer in looks than other diners; Always crowded; Fast, reliable service and food.
7) Johnny’s Luncheonette: Chelsea. 124 W 25th @ 6th-7th Av. Cheap, fast and great. Who doesn’t love a greasy spoon; Food here is as good as it gets for a diner.
8) EJ’s Luncheonette: Upper East. 1271 3rd Av @ 73rd; Large space; Great late-night option; They have lunch and dinner blue plate specials; Great website; Huge menu; Beer & Wine; Cash only.
9) Waverly Restaurant: West Village. 385 6th Av @ 8th Street – Waverly; Known for outstanding breakfast more than their other meals; Hash browns are famous. Well cooked food. Open all the time.
10) Comfort Diner: Midtown East. 214 E 45th St @ 2nd – 3rd Av; Very strong food; Meatloaf, breakfast items; Popular at all hours; Brunch menu as well.
11) Cup & Saucer: Chinatown. 89 Canal @ Eldridge; Been around since the 1940s; Very small place but a classic; Counter seating only; Order one of their daily specials. Breakfast and lunch only.
12) Good Stuff: Chelsea. 109 W 14th @ 6th-7th Av. Greek owned. Overstuffed sandwiches, Greek platters, fast friendly service. Very popular.
13) Odessa: East Village. 119 Av A @ 11th; Eastern European Diner. Ukraining ownership. Try their signature Chicken Soup. Burgers, breakfast items solid. An institution.
14) Viand Café: Upper West. 2130 Broadway @ 75th; Beef stew lunch special is special; Overall – a large menu with terrific food; Greek ownership; Yummy classic grilled cheese; Breakfast is solid.
15) Galaxy Diner: Midtown West. 665 9th Av @ 46th Street; Huge menu, breakfast all day. Full bar. Greasy spoon with slightly above average food – what one expects from a diner.
16) Market Diner: Midtown West. 572 11th Av @ 43rd-44th; Open 24 hours; Breakfast food to die for; Waffle fries; 1950s décor; Great service; Generous portions; Recently renovated.
17) Westway Diner: Midtown West. 614 9th Ave @ 44th St; Nothing extremely special except anyone can enjoy fairly reliable diner far at cheap prices from an endless menu.
18) Red Flame Coffee Shop: Midtown. 67 W 44th @ 5th Av – 6th Av; Solid diner with large menu. Popular with midtown lunch crowd. Clean, good service.